Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Recipe of the Week...Grandma Buckallew's Fresh Cranberry Salad


My Grandma Buckallew, (my dad's mother), was an amazing cook...she raised 3 boys and was married to my grandpa for over 50 years, so she spent a lot of time in the kitchen! She could make scrumptious cobblers and pies, deliciously crunchy sweet pickles and melt-in-your mouth hot rolls; but my favorite dish was her Fresh Cranberry Salad. It just isn't the holidays to me unless I have a pretty glass bowl of this yummy sweet and tart salad to compliment the ham, turkey, pork loin or roast that is served at our table.

My grandmother's original recipe calls for celery, but since Justin and several other family members don't like celery, I leave it out and just double the amount of chopped apples. Here's her wonderful recipe - I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup chopped apples
  • 1 cup chopped celery, (I omit and double the apples)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 cups mini marshmallows
  • 1 small package red Jell-O (I use cherry)
Method:
Cook berries, water and sugar until berries pop. While hot, add Jell-O and marshmallows, stirring until marshmallows have melted. Set aside to cool down. Add remaining ingredients and pour into a decorative bowl. Chill until set. (Note...I also like to add a dollop of Cool-Whip on top of my serving....yummmmm!!)

Have a blessed day!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.