Thursday, August 9, 2012

Guest Room Message Board Tutorial



On one of my recent trips to Hobby Lobby I picked up the cool 8" x 10" frame for this project in the clearance aisle for only 2 bucks! The glass was missing, which is why it was marked down, but I KNEW I would be able to do something fun with it so I snatched it up! I ended up creating a cute welcome message board for our guest room. Here's how I made it:

I cut a piece of thick, corrugated cardboard to fit the opening of the frame. I coated the front of the cardboard with spray adhesive and attached a piece of burlap to it; trimmed the excess burlap from the edges; and inserted the burlap cardboard into the frame, securing it with the little fold down tabs on the back of the frame.


For the rest of the project, I used Aleen's Quick Dry Tacky Glue...if you've never used it before, I HIGHLY recommend it! It's a great product and can be purchased at Hobby Lobby as well.


To create the button covered monogrammed "B", I purchased a 2-pack of wooden letter Bs while I was at Hobby Lobby. (The 2-pack was only 99 cents...and I have a spare "B" for a future project!) I then dumped out my button jar and pulled out various sizes of pearly looking buttons. I covered the wooden B with a layer of the Quick Dry Tacky Glue, and began adhering buttons to it. If there were gaps between the buttons where the wood could be seen, I simply added a second layer of buttons to those areas. Here's how the "B" turned out:


I have several old wooden spools in a jar, (I picked up a HUGE bag of them at the Tulsa Flea Market for only 5 bucks!), so my sweetie cut one in half for me:


Using the Quick Dry Tacky Glue, I glued one to the upper corners of the message board. I then put dots of glue on the back of a paper doily and attached it to the lower left corner of the frame. The tiny heart-shaped grapevine wreath I found in the dollhouse section at Hobby Lobby for 59 cents, and I knew it would work perfectly with this project! Using a generous amount of Quick Dry Tacky Glue on the back of the B, I attached it over the doily, and then added the grapevine heart with more of the glue.


While everything was drying I wrote "Welcome to Our Home" on a small white tag. On a larger white tag I wrote "In our home let love abide; and bless all those who step inside". Once the glue had dried on the spools, I triple looped some jute twine around the left spool and tied it in a bow to secure:


I brought the length of jute twine across the message board, triple looping it to the spool on the right, and finished it off with a bow as well to form the line in which to hang the message tags:


Using some tiny, (and SUPER CUTE!), little clothespins, I clipped the message tags to the line. I tied jute bows to the holes in the tags first, just for a little extra detail. (NOTE: The tiny clothespins can be purchased by the bag in the unfinished wood section at Hobby Lobby).

I tied some pretty organza dot ribbon through the hangers on the back of the frame:


I then made a decorative bow and attached it to the center of the ribbon for hanging. Viola! A cute and very inexpensive little message board for very little money! Here's another photo of the finished project:


Wishing you a day filled with many blessings!
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Great bargain! Love how it turned out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacie! I'm a bargain hound, and I can't pass up a good buy when I see one. ;)

      Delete
  2. Ohhh, Becky! I adore this! Wish there was a pinterest button for me to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask and ye shall receive, Romaine! I've added a Pin-It button to my posts , so pin away my friend! :)

      Delete
  3. This is amazing! I absolutely love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I'm working on another project that I think you'll like too...I'll be posting it for a Scrap-It-Girl challenge on Sept. 1st. :)

      Delete
  4. I adore this! Love everything about this Becky! The B is fantastic! And the cute heart adds so much charm. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my--I love this project and can't wait to do it! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.