Here's how I make mac-n-cheese from scratch:
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1 - 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz. bag Kraft shredded triple cheddar with a touch of Philly cream cheese
Place macaroni into a pot of salted, boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes. (Macaroni should still be firm). Drain and set aside.
In a large saucepan melt butter and add in flour, stirring until blended. Whisk evaporated milk and ground mustard into butter/flour mixture, stirring constantly until thickened. Turn heat to low and add all but 1/2 cup of the cheese, stirring until cheese is melted. Add drained macaroni, salt, pepper, paprika and onion powder to cheese mixture, stirring to combine. Pour macaroni mixture into greased casserole dish. Sprinkle remianing 1/2 cup of the cheese on top and bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. SOOOOO good!!
Note: Another variation is to add cooked ham that has been cut into cubes to the mac-n-cheese before baking...this makes a wonderful one-dish meal!