Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Fringed Fleece Scarf Tutorial

Wow! The temps here in NE Oklahoma have been reeeeeally cold! Yesterday morning we set a new record low for the day at 17 degrees - BRRRRR!! I know that the arctic air that has been in our neck of the woods has blanketed the majority of the U.S., with many parts receiving record snow amounts! I am so thankful that we aren't digging out of snow here yet!

This evening my sweetie and I met up with our friend Jamie for dinner at Olive Garden to celebrate her birthday a little early. One of the gifts that I gave to her was a cute fringed OU scarf that I made. (Jamie's daughter, Kennedie, is a student at OU, so I really think that she'll love wearing this scarf!)


Would you like to know how to make one of these? They come together pretty quickly, and you can purchase all sorts of cute printed fleece and fun, fringy trims at your local craft store. Let's get started!

First off, trim up a piece of fleece using a rotary cutter, self-healing mat and a metal straight edge. You can make your scarf any width and length that you like...longer for taller folks and shorter for petite folks...


Next you'll want to use some black embroidery floss to blanket stitch around the outer edges of the scarf to give it a nice, finished look:


Not sure how to do a blanket stitch? Here's a little diagram to help you with that...


Once you've finished stitching around the edges, you'll want to add some fun, decorative fringe to the ends for a little extra pizzazz. Since my fringe was kind of feathery and had beads too, I decided to use some Aleen's "Okay to Wash It" fabric glue to adhere my trim to the scarf:



I applied a layer to both the front and back of the scarf, laid the trim over the glue, placed clothespins on the glued trim to hold it in place, and then set the scarf end on a piece of wax paper so that it wouldn't stick to my self-healing mat:


I let the glue dry overnight, removed the clothespins and TA-DAH!!! - the fringe was firmly attached to the ends of the fleece scarf:


Here's another look at the finished piece...I really love how it turned out! (I think that I'll have to make one for me now, but using OSU printed fleece instead!)


Have a WONDERFUL rest of the week, friends!!

Blessings,
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.