Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Last Minute Gift Idea Tutorial: Ribbon Lip Balm Key Chain



TADAH!! Here's the tutorial that I promised to post...it's a lip balm holder, (made from ribbon!), to attach to a key chain! I made and gave these away to several of my gal pals for Christmas, and I think they would make terrific stocking stuffers. They are really quick and easy to create, so you will have time to whip up a few of these just in time for Christmas for the gals in your life too!


Begin with a roll of 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon. (I love all of the pretty designs that grosgrain ribbon now comes in!) Cut the ribbon into 7" lengths:


Fold the ends of the ribbon under twice and press to hold the folds in place to make stitching easier:



Next cut 1/4" grosgrain ribbon into 2" lengths. These will form the loop to hold the key ring on your lip balm holder:


Now for a little basic stitching! Fold the ribbon in half, aligning the sides and folded top ends. Stitch along one side of the folded ribbon as shown, using about a 1/8" seam allowance:


Flip the lip balm holder over. Slide a key ring onto the 2" piece of ribbon which has been folded in half. Tuck the ends of the 1/4" ribbon inside the upper edge of the 1 1/2" piece of folded ribbon as shown here:


Carefully stitch down the side of the ribbon that has the key ring loop as shown here:


Cut away any strings. Your lip balm holder should look like this:


If desired, hand stitch a decorative button along the seam on the front. Insert a tube of lip balm and then attach the key ring to your key chain:



And now you'll never again need to dig through your purse in search of lip balm! :)

Just for fun, I created a couple of lip balm holders from denim...I tore the denim into strips to give a fringed look before stitching. I had a couple of cute ladybug charms in my stash, so I stitched them to the fronts and added mini crocheted flowers and glittery button flowers as well:


Thanks for checking out my tutorial...I hope I've inspired you to make some of these cute little lip balm holders to give away to the ladies in your life this Christmas! After all, with winter upon us who wouldn't appreciate a fun, yet practical, gift like this to ward off chapped lips?? :)

Wishing you a blessed day,
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Cuh-ute! These would be perfect for my nieces, thanks for the tutorial Becky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Justine!! I gave these to the gals at work, as well as to many of my friends and relatives...they all loved them. :)

      Delete
  2. Great projects and very easy to follow tutorial - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hanny! Glad that you enjoyed the tutorial! :)

      Delete
  3. Way cute! Simple too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.