Monday, April 15, 2013

Milligan Family Shadow Box




As you know, one of my favorite crafty projects to make is shadow/memory boxes, so I thought I'd share a photo with you today of the most recent one that I created for my pal Jamie. The backdrop is simply two pieces of scrapbook paper, which I attached to the back of the frame. I separated the two paper designs with a piece of twill ribbon that has the words "relations", "family", "dearest", "kin" and "home" stamped on it. I attached a photo of her family onto a frayed piece of burlap, which is the focal point of the shadow box. Since she and her hubby Dustin have 4 children between them, I incorporated a little bird nest and 4 eggs that I found in the floral department of Hobby Lobby. The eggs were originally brown, so I painted them blue-green and used and old toothbrush to speckle the eggs with dark brown paint. The bird nest rests on a piece of a branch that I took from a tree in our yard; and I used a heavy-duty liquid adhesive to hold it in place. I tucked a couple of silk leaf sprigs under the nest to complete the "tree branch look" that I was going for. The quote on the tag, by T.S. Eliot, says "Home is where one starts from", which I thought complemented the photo perfectly since it was taken on Dustin and Jamie's front porch. I covered a small, wooden letter "M", (their last name is Milligan), in a coordinating paper and inked the edges in brown to give it an aged look. To finish it all off, I used a 10" x 13" barn wood shadow box frame that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. (If you watch their sales, you can get these for 50% off, which is a real steal!)

That's it, folks! Another fun and pretty shadow box completed!

Wishing you a blessed day,

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love the little eggs, so cute! and using a toothbrush to paint on them that is awesome! I'm sure Jamie loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.