Saturday, September 1, 2012

September Scrap-It-Girl Challenge



Do you remember back in July when I shared with you a photo of an old cabinet door with windows that I purchased at a thrift store for $10.00? Well, here's what I ended up creating with it...a wall display to commemorate the 25th wedding anniversary that my hubby and I celebrated in July:


If you remember, here is what the cabinet door started out looking like:


I began by cutting out corrugated cardboard to fit in the window panes, and then covered the cardboard with burlap:


I then placed one of our wedding invitations in the first window pane:


In the second window pane, I recycled an embossed heart that was originally the cover of a wedding invitation that Mike and I received a while back. I covered the front of the heart with pearl paint, so it would match the pearly looking embossed doves on our wedding invitation. I then cut slits in the heart for the ribbon and felt arrow to go through, added a "Love" sticker and stickers to say "25 Years":


The third window pane has two felt birds on a branch, as well as a quote sticker that I attached to white cardstock before mounting to the burlap. I purchased the felt birds and quote sticker from Hobby Lobby, as well as the wooden letter "B". I covered the "B" with red swirly paper; sanding and inking the edges to give it an aged look. The flower is made with deconstructed silk flowers/leaves, a button and some twine. The "B" worked perfectly to cover the unsightly hole left from the original cabinet knob:


In the fourth and final window pane, I added a photo of Mike and I on our anniversary. I mounted the photo on white cardstock before attaching it to the burlap. I found the black felt scroll at Hobby Lobby, and it worked perfectly as a topper for our photo:


How's that for a "Trash-to-Treasure" project? My project is displayed over at Scrap-It-Girl for the September Recipe Challenge. Now, you may be wondering, "What on earth is a recipe challenge?" Well...it's where you have to use a set of specific craft ingredients to create a project. This recipe required using twine, arrows, circles, birds and the color red; and here is how I applied those ingredients to my project:
  • Twine: used in the button on the flower center on the letter "B"
  • Arrow: used in the center of the embossed heart
  • Circle: the button used as the flower center on the letter "B"
  • Birds: the felt birds on a branch in window pane 3
  • Red: the paper chosen for the letter "B" 
Why not try your hand at creating a project using this recipe? You can enter up to 2 projects in this fun Scrap-It-Girl challenge during the month of September to be eligible to win this FANTASTIC prize package:


The prize package is being given away by my fellow Design Team Member, Laura Cox from Scrapaddict {4} Life, and includes the following products:
  •  Making Memories Halloween foam stamp set
  • Inkadinkado acrylic Halloween stamp set
  • Making Memories Paper Reverie bling and brad set
  • Halloween Stickles set with Purple/Orange Peel/Black Diamond colors
  • Really Reasonable Ribbon pumpkin and bat border ribbons
  • Orange and black jute string
  • Black & orange Halloween twine
  • A huge piece of black burlap
I hope you will enter a project or two in the challenge...I look forward to seeing your great crafty creations!

Wishing you a fun and safe Labor Day weekend!

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I really like the burlap and that you did each rectangle differently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacie! It was fun to figure out exactly what I wanted to put in each window pane...took a while to decide, but I'm happy with the results. :)

      Delete
  2. Just beautiful! Love that letter B!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! Amazing what a little paper and ink can do for a plain wooden letter, isn't it?? :)

      Delete
  3. Fabulous idea! Becky, I always enjoy your blog! I have nominated you for the Liebster on my blog: http://bumblesnbees.blogspot.ca/2012/09/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Romaine! Sorry that I'm just now responding to your comment...been CRAAAAZY busy lately! Thanks so much for the sweet comment and for the award - you totally made my day!! :) I'll get the info posted this week...thanks again for thinking of me!

      Delete
  4. This is awesome and congrats on 25 years!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.