Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fabric Covered Button Necklace Tutorial

Many years ago I was a cross-stitching fanatic...I cross-stitched everything from pictures to pillows; to clothes and tea towels! While cleaning out one of my craft tubs I came across some unfinished cross-stitched projects, (which I really need to eventually finish - LOL!), as well as a couple of tiny roses that I had stitched on linen and turned into buttons. I thought that I could turn the buttons into a couple of pretty necklace pendants, and here's what I came up with:


It's really, really easy to turn any favorite fabric, (or even a tiny cross-stitched piece of art!), into a button! You can buy the button forms at any craft store, such as Hobby Lobby or Michael's. The package comes with a pattern that you can cut out to fit the button form. Here's what one of the button form sets look like: 
 
 
Simply follow the directions on the button cover package to create a fabric button/pendant. Next, pick up a bezel from the jewelry section of Hobby Lobby or Michael's that the fabric covered button will fit into. Using a little Mod Podge Dimensional Magic, (which I picked up at Hobby Lobby too!), adhere the fabric covered button to the inside of the bezel.


Allow to thoroughly dry and then add a decorative bail to a pretty cord and attach the bezel to the bail with a jump ring. That's it, folks! A lovely and unique hand-stitched pendant to dress up a simple button down shirt and jeans! Here's another look at the finished project:


Thanks for dropping by today! I hope that your week is going well...we're half way to the weekend - YIPPEE!! :)

Blessings,
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I have totally been thinking about making a cross stitch covered button necklace, funny that you just did one... It is so pretty! Really like the dainty lil rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Justine! Sorry that I'm just now responding to your comment...somehow I overlooked it. :( Anyhoo...thanks for the compliment! I have been working on some other jewelry pieces as well...stay tuned for upcoming pics and tutorials. Wishing you and your sweet family a wonderful new year to come! :)

      Delete
  2. Just an FYI...Dimensional Magic isn't a glue, it's a sealer. You might have better luck with E6000.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.