Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Scrap Fabric and Clearance Frame Message Board

Hi, Friends! I know, I know...lately I've been a big 'ole blog slacker - sorry! Work has been really busy since going back after Christmas break, and then I came down with a stomach bug on Friday - YUCK! Thankfully the bug only lasted about 24 hours!

I had every intention of posting this project last week, but time totally got away from me! Anyhoo...check out the pretty message board that I made using a frame and fabric remnant that I picked up on sale at Hobby Lobby. The frame didn't have a glass front, so it was marked down to $1.99 - sweeeet!


Here's how I made it...first gather up your supplies:
  • 8" x 10" or 11" x 14" wood frame
  • scrap of fabric that will fit the inside of the frame
  • cardboard to fit inside the frame 
  • spray adhesive
  • clear drying glue
  • fine grit sand paper
  • jute twine
  • mini clothespins
  • staple gun
  • lace
  • button
  • coordinating acrylic paint & sponge brush
Begin by laying your frame on a flat surface. (I like to cover the surface with a paper bag that I've cut open, which makes clean-up super easy!)


Carefully sand the surface of the frame and then wipe the dust off with a damp cloth. Dip a dry, sponge brush into just a little acrylic paint and lightly apply paint to the frame to give it a shabby-chic look:

Spray a piece of cardboard, (that has been cut to fit the inside of the frame), with adhesive and carefully stick the fabric to the cardboard, being careful to smooth out any air bubbles:


Using a staple gun, attach jute twine to the inside of the frame. Apply a light coat of clear-drying glue to the inside lip if the frame and place the fabric covered cardboard inside the frame. Allow the glue to thoroughly dry. Once the cardboard has securely dried in place, attach lace to the back of the frame with the staple gun. Tie a bow with a piece of lace, securing it to the lace hanger with a button:


By adding mini clothes pins to the jute twine, you can attach photos, notes, etc. to your memory board:


Simple message boards like this are really easy to create and would make a great gift for anyone! I gave this one to my pal, Megan F., who is one of the kindest & most thoughtful people that I know! She is always doing nice things for me, so I wanted to make something for her to let her know how much I appreciate her. :)

Have a WONDERFUL week!!

Blessings,
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.