Sunday, July 4, 2010

Recipe of the Week..."As American as Peanut Butter Pie"

Happy 4th of July! I hope that you are enjoying this great day celebrating our nation's freedoms! During church service this morning, our pastor read a wonderful statement made by Benjamin Franklin to the Continental Congress. I found it so moving that I wanted to share it with you here:

Ben Franklin, during a critical impasse during the Constitutional Convention, 28 June 1787, attempted to introduce the practice of daily common prayer at the Convention, with these words:


... In the beginning of the contest with Great Britain, when we were sensible of danger we had daily prayer in this room for the Divine Protection. -- Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered. All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of a Superintending providence in our favor. ... And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? or do we imagine that we no longer need His assistance. "I have lived, Sir, a long time and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth -- that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the sacred writings that "except the Lord build they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the Builders of Babel: ...I therefore beg leave to move -- that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations, be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the Clergy of this City be requested to officiate in that service.

How powerful is that?!?!? It's so important that we remember where our true freedom and liberty comes from, and that without a good and merciful God we wouldn't be the nation that we are today.

Now for the recipe of the week! I made a couple of peanut butter pies today, so thought I'd share the recipe with you...it's a fantastic pot-luck dish to take because the recipe makes two pies!! My good friend, Sarah Kearnes, shared this recipe with me a few years back it's always a crowd pleaser! You're not going to believe how easy it is to make!!



Ingredients:
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup peanut butter (I like to use crunchy!)
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened (I like to use low fat cream cheese)
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla
  • 8 oz. tub Cool-Whip
  • 2 ready made chocolate cookie pie crusts
  • Chocolate syryp
Method:

Mix the first 4 ingredients together and beat on medium speed until combined. Fold in Cool-Whip. Spoon into the chocolate cookie pie crusts and drizzle top with chocolate syrup. Refrigerate until firm and serve.

SO EASY AND DELICIOUS!!!

Have a blessed 4th of July!!
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. My hubby loves PB...I will have to give this recipe a try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH BOY, DO I love peanut butter! all that sounds to die for (or die from? lol) yummers!

    Thanks for the Treat!

    Hope you have a wonderful Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, gals, for the great comments! The PB pies I took to the pot-luck this evening went over great!!! Hope you enjoy it as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.