Thursday, August 5, 2010

Recipe of the Week...."Fresh Apple Pie"

One of ladies that Mike works with picked apples from her mom's apple tree and shared them with me - thanks, Sheila!! I tossed all of the apples in one of my Longaberger baskets until I had time to process them...don't they look pretty? I made a couple of pies with a few of the apples; and I'm sharing my pie filling recipe with you for this weeks "Recipe of the Week".


When I'm fortunate enough to get this many apples, I like to take the time to make up individual packets of pie filling and put them  in my freezer to use at a later date. I'll make several batches of  pie filling (recipe below), put the filling in Zip-Loc bags, add Fruit Fresh to each of the bags so the apples don't turn brown, and toss them in the freezer. Then, when I'm ready to make a pie, I just take one of the bags of pie filling out of the freezer, thaw in the fridge, empty the contents of the bag into a pie crust, and bake! EASY!!

Here's my pie filling recipe...you can make a crust from scratch, or simplify and buy one at the store...your choice!

Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:

3 to 4 cups peeled and sliced apples
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3 Tablespoons margarine or butter
3 Tablespoons milk

Method:

Place peeled/sliced apples into a large mixing bowl. Add flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently stir until combined and apples are coated. Place mixture into unbaked pie shell. Add dots of butter and sprinkle with milk. Cover top of filling with pie crust and poke holes in top crust for ventilation. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes. Cool pie on wire rack...serve warm with vanilla ice cream if desired! ENJOY!!


Have a blessed day!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I never thought of freezing the filling...I usually only see it canned! I will have to try this as we have an apple orchard nearby! Your pie looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.