Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mass Production Christmas Cards and Gift Bag Tutorial

I'm one of those "old-fashioned" folks that still mail out Christmas cards each year. I think there's just something special about receiving a "real" card in your mail box at this time of year...and if there's a newsletter or note included it's a bonus! I truly enjoy hearing from our extended family and friends, seeing updated photos of their families, and finding out what they've been up to during the past year.

Each year I make and mail out about 50 Christmas cards...so I've had to learn how quickly to mass produce these since there's so much to be done during the month of December. With that in mind, here's a little tutorial on how I created my Christmas cards this year:

For starters, here's a photo of the front of the card:

Here's a photo of the inside of the card...I always like to include an updated family photo, so this year I made room for the photo on the inside front flap.

To begin, cut a piece of 12" x 12" cardstock to 12" x 11". (I used CTMH Colonial White cardstock). With the 12" side at the top of your paper cutter, cut 3 - 4" strips. Score each strip at 4 1/2" and fold. This will make each card measure 4" x 5 1/2" when it is folded, allowing it to fit into a standard A2 envelope. (NOTE: You'll be able to get 3 cards from each 12" x 11" cardstock).


Fold each card on score line and set aside:


Using double-sided paper, (I chose papers from the CTMH "Mistletoe" collection), cut 4" x 4 1/2" rectangles...one for each card that you're going to make. Now, cut the rectangles in half, which will allow you to display both sides of the pretty double-sided paper on your card. Select a coordinating paper and cut 1" x 4" strips...you'll need one for each card. Set aside.

Using a coordinating piece of cardstock, (I chose CTMH New England Ivy cardstock), cut strips into 1/2" x 12" strips and run these strips through a paper crimper. (For each strip you crimp you'll have an element to use on 2 cards). Set crimped strips aside. Select image for tag to be used on the front of the card, (I chose a sentiment from the CTMH "Christmas Melodies" stamp set). Using a coordinating ink, (I chose CTMH Cranberry ink), stamp the sentiment on cardstock.

Cut out images and punch holes in them. Set aside.



Now it's time to begin assembling your cards...

Adhere the 4" x 4 1/2" rectangles that you've cut in half to the front of the card:


Now take your crimped strip of cardstock and lay across the front of your card. Cut to fit, apply glue dots to the back, and adhere to the front of the card to cover the seam between the two pieces of paper:





Apply 1" x 4" strip of coordinating paper to the right outer edge of the inside of the card:

Stamp a sentiment on the inside of the card. (I chose a sentiment from the CTMH "Festive Thoughts" stamp set and used Cranberry ink). If desired, add a family photo to the inside flap of the card as well.



To finish decorating the tag for the front of your card, run a piece of ribbon through the punched hole. (I used CTMH Cranberry velvet ribbon). Tie a piece of thin satin ribbon around the velvet ribbon at the base of the tag to hold the ribbon in place:

Apply two 3-D dots to the back of the tag and adhere at an angle, straddling the crimped strip of cardstock, to the front of your card:



You can stamp a decorative image on the envelopes if you like...I always think that's a nice touch!

It's easy to make a coordinating gift bag as well!


Begin with a basic kraft bag:

Cut decorative paper, (I used paper from the CTMH "Mistletoe" collection"), to the width of your bag and then the desired height...mine was 4" high x 8" wide. Cut 2 strips of coordinating cardstock 1" x 8", (I used CTMH Cranberry cardstock), and punch one side of the strip with a decorative punch. Run a 1/2" x 12" strip of cardstock through a paper crimper, (I used CTMH New England Ivy cardstock). Stamp and prepare tag image as shown in the card directions above.


Apply adhesive to one of the punched strips and apply to one of the long edges of the decorative paper. Repeat process for the other side and apply to the bag as shown:




Following the same directions as given in the card instructions, trim crimped strip of cardstock to fit the width of the gift bag. Apply glue dots to the back of the crimped strip and apply to the center of the decorative piece of paper:




Using 3-D dots, apply the decorative tag to the front of the bag:

To create the bow, cut a 66" long piece of thin satin ribbon:

Cut a 6" piece of ribbon off of the long piece of ribbon and set aside. (You will use the short piece to secure your bow and attach it to the bag).

Begin looping the ribbon back and forth, pinching in the middle while forming loops, as shown in the photo below...just play with it until you get the desired size of bow you want!

Once you've formed a bow that you're satisfied with, pinch the center and tie in the middle with the short piece of ribbon:


Attach to the bag and your bag is now ready to fill with a nice holiday treat to give to a friend!



Lastly, here are 3 variations of the above card, which will fit into a standard number 10, (4 1/8" x 9 1/2"), envelope. Each card measures 9 1/8" x 4":


I hope this tutorial has been helpful! Have a WONDERFUL week!!

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful card and bag! Love how easy those can be mass produced! I'm still making cards...wish I would of started earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky! I love it! So cute! I mass produced my cards this year too.. I usually make one or two at the most of each card but I started working full time so there went all my time! I love the crimped cardstock! I need one of those crimpers!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful ideas Becky. Love the card. I send out about 60 Christmas cards--Only 25 of those were handmade this year! Why oh why don't I start earlier? Merry Christmas to you~and thank you for continually leaving comments on my blog! You make me smile! =0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.