Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Recipe of the Week..."Best EVER Chocolate Cake"


The chocolate cake recipe that I'm sharing with you this week is one of my most requested desserts! My mom gave me this recipe many years ago, and my friends and co-workers love it when I bake up one of these deliciously moist cakes to share with them! (The pan is always scraped clean - ha! ha!)

Cake Ingredients:
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9" x 13" cake pan. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla to dry mixture. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Gradually stir in boiling water - batter will be thin - and pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool before frosting.

Frosting Ingredients:
  • 1 stick margarine, melted
  • 2/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup 2% milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup coarsly chopped pecans (optional)
Method:
Stir cocoa powder, vanilla and melted margarine together in medium mixing bowl. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk to chocolate mixture, and beat on medium speed. Add more milk if needed to reach a good spreading consistancy. Spread on cooled cake and top with chopped pecans. Store tightly covered.

Enjoy!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm! I'm drooling! Can you believe I used to hate chocolate?? I think it was a mental thing because my mom always says she hates it and it is yucky so I just assumed it was bad. That was until I met my husband....he has introduced to all kinds of stuff! Which doesn't help the waistline but oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!! I have to admit I have never made cake from scratch...but I now must try it! Thanks Becky!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.