Thursday, August 21, 2014

How to "Age" Paper and Fabric for Craft Projects...

Good morning, folks! Today I'm going to share with you how I "age" new crisp, white paper doilies to make them look like they just came out of Grandma's trunk that's been sitting in the attic for 50 years...


I usually purchase my paper doilies at the Dollar Tree. They have different sizes and shapes for only $1.00 per package...what a steal! The heart doilies are usually seasonal, so I pick those up around Valentine's day so that I'll have them on hand when I need them.

Here's my paper aging recipe:

  • 1 cup of boiling water (leftover coffee can be used as well)
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. imitation vanilla flavoring
In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until the mixture is a pretty brownish color. (The cinnamon and vanilla gives the items you are aging a nice smell, too!) Carefully add doilies to the mixture and allow to sit for a few seconds. (You can usually put 2 or 3 small doilies in the bowl at one time, but I age the larger doilies individually to prevent/minimize tearing.) 

Using wooden tongs, (I use my Pampered Chef condiment tongs for this!), carefully turn the doily over in the mixture, and then remove and place on a tea towel to dry. Once they are dry, you may repeat the process until you achieve the shade you desire. (The doilies shown in the photo above were dipped and dried twice.)

This process also works for tags, crocheted doilies, cotton fabrics, metal rimmed tags, cotton ribbons and twine. I use these items on craft projects that I want to look antiqued or distressed. If the doilies tear a little, don't worry! That just adds to the imperfect beauty of the aging process! :)

Happy crafting!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.