Thursday, May 13, 2010

Recipe of the Week...Skillet Meatballs with Gravy

Wow! It's been such a busy week that I haven't had time to post anything at all! School ends next Friday, so I'm hoping that things will slow down a little bit then. This afternoon was our District's Service Pin Awards Ceremony and Reception...I received my 10 year pin! It's hard to believe that I've already been with BAPS for 10 years...time sure flies when you're having fun!

Now for the recipe of the week. It's such a good and quick dish to make!

Skillet Meatballs with Gravy:




Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. lean hamburger meat (I use 96% lean)
  • 1 package Lipton Beef Flavored Rice
  • 1 egg
  • 1 package brown gravy mix
  • 1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
  • 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Method:

In a large mixing bowl, combine hamburger meat, egg and Lipton beef flavored rice. Form meatballs about the size of a golf ball. Coat skillet with olive oil and place over medium heat. (I use a cast iron skillet...I just love the way they cook so evenly!) When skillet is hot, place half of the meatballs in the skillet, turning occasionally to cook evenly. Remove first batch of meatballs, set aside, and cook second batch of meatballs. While meatballs are cooking, combine brown gravy mix with water (according to package directions) in a mixing bowl. Place all cooked meatballs back into hot skillet. Pour gravy over meatballs and add mushrooms if desired. Cover skillet with lid and cook until gravy thickens. Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles and a veggie or salad. Yield: Approximately 15 meatballs.

NOTE: I think the next time I make this dish I'm going to combine a half cup of light sour cream to the gravy mix before adding it to the meatballs. I think it might make more of a "stroganoff" type of sauce for the meatballs - YUM!  Let me know if you try this recipe with the sour cream and how it turns out!

Have a safe weekend!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.