Friday, May 21, 2010

Recipe of the Week...Virginia's Coconut Cream Pie

Well, I am embarrassed at the fact that I'm only posting only once again this week! It's been a really, really busy week! Tomorrow we are celebrating my father-in-law's 80th birthday with a fun party and cookout for him at our house. All of our family will be here, along with several long-time family friends that we haven't seen in quite a while! I'll post some pictures next week of the festivities.

Back to the recipe of the week...I chose to share my mother-in-law's recipe for coconut cream pie with you this week. Virginia passed away at only 63 years of age from ovarian cancer in 1998, and she is greatly missed. She was a lovely and gracious Christian lady as well as a FANTASTIC cook! I learned so much from her and could not have asked for a more wonderful mother-in-law! Here is a photo of her and my father-in-law:



Now for her AMAZING coconut cream pie recipe:



Ingredients:

  • 2 cups warm milk
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 bag of grated coconut
  • Baked single pie crust shell
  • Cool Whip or Meringue (your preference)
Method:

Warm milk in microwave. Pour into medium sized sauce pan and place on burner set to medium heat. Stir sugar and flour into milk mixture. Stir in egg yolks and add a dash of salt. Bring mixture to boil and thicken. Stir in vanilla and butter. Add desired amount of coconut. (I like ALOT of coconut! I don't measure how much I dump into the mixture, but if I had to guess I'd say it is around 1 1/2 cups or so...I just add some until the mixture looks right!) Pour mixture into pre-baked pie crust shell and allow to cool. While pie is cooling toast some coconut in the oven to use as a topping.

Now for the topping...I like meringue and I don't have any problem making meringue, but on coconut cream pie I just prefer a whipped topping. I think its smooth, creamy texture compliments the filling better, but you can make meringue for this pie if that is your preference. When the pie has cooled, I spread Cool-Whip over the top and then sprinkle some toasted coconut over it for a nice finish. Refrigerate until ready to serve and then EAT UP! Beware, though, this pie doesn't last long!

Have a blessed weekend!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I truly value your thoughts, ideas and opinions! Have a blessed day! Becky B.